I’m sitting at an Internet café that sells hot fudge brownies with ice-cream. The smell of freshly baked goods wafts my way as I type. Diet gods, help me! What happened to coffees and the occasional fruit patter? What’s a girl go to do to stick to a diet around here!?
If you’re cursed with a sweet-tooth like I am, this will be the type of irrational self-talk you may be acquainted with. When working mostly out of cafes and co-working space, sticking to a healthy diet can be a real test of will power. If you share my pain, these are 6 tips for avoiding jam Danishes when on the move:
1) Bring your own supplies. If coconuts weren’t so darned big, they would the perfect snack. But since they are, the carton coconut water is best. Stay hydrated and slip on the nutrition – its oddly filling. Apparently coconut water is pack with vitamins and electrolytes. Pair it with raw veggie sticks like carrots, cucumber, and celery for guilt-free snacks. Too boring? Add apples with peanut butter for a sweet kick.
2) Limit the booze. Admittedly, this is a challenging one. Who doesn’t love beer? Who doesn’t love the way it tastes, the culture that surrounds it, the de-stressing effect of having a celebratory beer with the team? All’s great until the beer gut makes its ugly appearance. Truth is, beer is empty calories, dehydrating and increases appetite. If only they invented a healthy beer! But until that breakthrough happens (come on scientists!) rein it in. If opting to drink, best to go with wine or a vodka soda.
3) Find health cafes. There are a number of juice and salad bars, so keep a look out for outlets before planting yourself in one. When finding your best health spots, make a note as to whether they are laptop friendly, and slower during work hours so they wont mind if you squat there. Internet connection tends to be less available at health bars (for whatever reason – heaven forbid we have too much of a good thing in one place!) so be prepared to tether your own connection. Which leads to the next point…
4) Get your own wifi. Mobile phone internet sharing (tethering) is the new outdoor office. With your own wifi, you can work outside and treat your lungs to some fresh air away from those devilish brownie fumes.
5) Smoothies. A great travel snack (yes, smoothies can be considered a snack when packed with fruits and yogurt!) Walk, sip, refill. Buy yourself a power blender and superfood powder to start your day right. There a plenty of brain-fuel recipes that will keep you full and energized throughout the day.
6) Exercise. Every diet’s unwanted companion is exercise. But exercise helps to manage appetite and the self-control needed to stick with going healthy. After a run, would you really want to follow it up with a lemon tart? Ok, best not to talk about lemon tarts… but it does makes protein bars look more appetizing. And hey, studies show just 5 minutes of running also does the trick.